Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Questions for Lear Act Four Scene Six

Answer the following questions with complete sentences, making sure to include specific text references to support your answers. If a question has more than one part, make sure to answer all elements of the question.

  1. Describe, in detail, Edgar’s deception of his father at the beginning of the scene.
  2. What is the purpose of this deception? To what extent is it successful?
  3. As Gloucester and Lear speak, it is apparent that the King’s thoughts are...disordered. However, Lear appears to be aware of Gloucester’s identify and cognizant of his own circumstances. Lear makes several statements that appear insightful, even wise, in spite of his madness. Consider the following lines and comment on how they address (a) the circumstances of the play, and (b) universal truths or themes raised by the play
LINES 109-118
Ha! Goneril, with a white beard! They flattered
me like a dog; and told me I had white hairs in my 110
beard ere the black ones were there. To say 'ay'
and 'no' to every thing that I said!--'Ay' and 'no'
too was no good divinity. When the rain came to
wet me once, and the wind to make me chatter; when
the thunder would not peace at my bidding; there I 115
found 'em, there I smelt 'em out. Go to, they are
not men o' their words: they told me I was every
thing; 'tis a lie, I am not ague-proof.

LINES 178-181
Through tatter'd clothes small vices do appear;
Robes and furr'd gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold,
And the strong lance of justice hurtless breaks: 180
Arm it in rags, a pigmy's straw does pierce it.

No comments: